Current CLHD Laboratory Capabilities
Clinical Laboratory provides testing in order to assist in the diagnosis of disease conditions and treatment of patients.
- Services consist of bacteriology, serology, chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, pregnancy testing, and fecal occult blood testing.
Environmental Laboratory consists of the bacteriological analysis on water samples.
- Drinking water is tested monthly for presence/absence of coliforms
- Affluent water is tested daily or weekly as required for coliform quantitation.
- Raw river waters are tested monthly or as needed for fecal and E coli count.
Bio Safety Level III (BSL3) Lab is qualified to test for the following Biological Agents:
- Bacillus anthracis (Anthrax)
- Yersinia Pestis (Plague)
- Francisella tularensis (Tularemia)
- Botulinum Toxin (Botulism)
- Brucella spp.(Brucellosis)
- Burkholderia spp.
- Lab workers can do a number of tests to identify an unknown substance. One of those tests is called PCR (polymerase chain reaction). PCR tests for the presence of DNA unique to each disease agent. Test results usually take between 3 to 5 hours. PCR can confirm earlier screening tests.
- Other tests:
- Anthrax – spore detection, bacteriological culture, motility, staining
- Tularensis – bacteriological culture
- Yersinia pestis – bacteriological culture, staining
- Brucellosis – bacteriological culture, motility
- Food Testing
- Testing will be available for routine surveillance testing
- When suspecting a food related illness or complaint:
- CLHD Environmental Division will decide whether or not to conduct an investigation and if testing is necessary
- Outbreak investigation:
- CLHD Bt Lab will have the capacity to test for the most common food borne pathogens:
- E Coli O157:H7
- Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxin