Catholic Calvary Cemetery

Once provision was made for a cemetery, the land was divided in half to accommodate a cemetery for Catholics. Prior to the establishment of City Cemeteiy, the Rev. EA Antoine petitioned the City Council to purchase nine blocks in the Eastern Division for $1 for a Catholic Cemetery on March 21, 1892. On February 2, 1893, the section situated west of Meadow Avenue was dedicated to the use of the Catholic Church by the City Council. The City Council authorized a deed of conveyance of the premises west of Meadow to the Right Rev. Bishop Peter Verdaguer and his successor in office in trust, for the use of the Catholic Church "subject at all times, to the reasonable regulation, management and control of the City Council." The 1893 ordinance authorized the subdivision and sale of parcels of land at Catholic Cemetery into family, individual, and "society" burial lots, and to establish carnage driveways for horses and vehicles and walks for pedestrians. The Council authorized any improvements essential to the use and adornment of the cemetery. Additionally, a potter's field was established for the burial of the indigent poor (City Minute Book). Today the cemetery is operated by the Corpus Christ! Diocese.

In '1898, electric streetcar service was estabUshed in Laredo. The initial route of the railway began at Farragut and Santa Isabel, turned sharply north on Santa Rita, headed east on Matamoros, turned south on Salinas back to Farragut, and proceeded east until it reached San Enrique, south to lturbide, and traveled diagonally over a narrow bridge at Zacate Creek. Then it proceeded east on Market to Meadow. Later the route was extended to Mendiola and Meadow to both cemeteries. Funeral processions were made by street car, as a funeral car was used to transport the deceased with the funeral party to both City Cemetery and Catholic Calvary Cemetery. On August 26, 1926, City Council authorized the removal of bodies from the "old cemetery" (at Scott St.). The bodies were reintered at City Cemetery and Catholic Calvary Cemetery (City Minute Book). Later in 1940 the Boys Club was constructed at the old cemetery site.

Monument to Right Rev. Bishop Peter Verdaguer