City of Laredo Health Department History – A Timeline
1935 - August 24, 1935 - Ordinance requiring the
1935 - August 24, 1935 - Ordinance requiring the "City Health Officer" to
conduct a Public Clinic and furnish all medicines and provide all help necessarily required in connection therewith. Dr. A.T. Cook, City Health Officer.
Maintain public health clinic for indigent sick of City, provide medication
attention at no charge. Registered pharmacist available to aid and assist in compounding all prescriptions.
1943 - County Commissioners Meeting- November 8, 1943.
Agreement between City of Laredo and Webb County to establish the Laredo-Webb County Health Unit. Appointment of Dr. E.M. Longoria as City Health Officer.
1960 -Agreement between the Texas State Department
Agreement between the Texas State Department of Health and the Laredo-Webb County Health Department (LWCHD) to receive State funds to Department, which ran under the Director of Health Department which made financial and reports to due to State.
1983 - Local Public Health Reorganization Act passed by 68lh Legislature
1983 - Local Public Health Reorganization Act passed by 68lh Legislature required local health units to reorganize to comply with act, both City and County entered into
an inter-local agreement. .
1989- November 14, 1989 abolishing LWCHD creating and establishing
The Health Department of the City of Laredo, appointing a Director, identifying services to be performed by the Health Dept, providing authority to enter into contracts with State and Federal agencies in the area of public health.
1989-Present - As time has progressed, the CLHD has grown from offering only critical services, to now serving our community with a variety of programs and services that make up our public health system today.
Learn More About History